According to Robert Louis Stevenson, "A friend is a present you give yourself." No matter what our age, friends are very precious. Reflect back upon all of the friendships of your lifetime. Use these questions to help you write:
1. Of all your associates and acquaintances, who have been your closest friends?
Tell a bit about each of these special people:
-When were you friends (childhood, young adulthood, middle age, now)?
-What did you do together?
-What kinds of support and/or companionship did you give to each other?
-Can you relate a favorite story about each friend?
2. What do you value most in a friendship?
3. Have you ever gone on an adventure with a friend? What happened?
4. Have you ever been deeply hurt by a "friend"? How did you handle that?
5. Within your family, who has been your best friend? Explain.
6. If you have attended a high school, college or military reunion, describe your feelings about those events. What was it like to see acquaintances you hadn't seen in years?